Friday, June 24, 2011

He is There

Life with three little kids is crazy. It takes about 5 years to get out the door, and just when I've got E in the carrier, Dean on my hip, and Cole is holding the door open, someone inevitably poops. Or I forgot something. Or or or...

And then during the day, someone always needs something. There are many days that I feel like I am just trying to get through and keep everyone alive (sanity is a bonus) for all or at least part of the day.

But I am really, really trying to be in the moment at those times and to stay conscious of what is going on around me.

I went to Boston College, which is a Jesuit Catholic school. I didn't know much of anything about Jesuits before going there, but I learned much during my 4 years. One huge lesson is about learning to be aware of God around you and through you and in others with you. Each day, many times, I make the effort to see God in my children, to be aware of how I am embodying God to them, and to look around amidst the chaos and ask myself, seriously, where is God in this? And no matter what is going on, I am able to find Him. Always. He promised He would never leave us or forsake us, so that means in the little things just as much as in the big things. Because with 3 little boys, so many of the "big" things in my life are little.

Now before you think I'm being all Pollyanna about it, know that I am still learning about this. I lose my cool. I yell. I get impatient. I get so exhausted. I fall short. But I'm trying. In all of it, he is there.

He is in their smiles.
He is in the way they love each other.
He is helping me not gag when I change diapers.
He is giving my body strength when I am just ready to quick.
He is there when all THREE of them are crying or hungry or whatever and I can laugh just a bit about the situation.
He is there when I have time to toss a cheese stick in my mouth between feeding all three boys and I can be grateful that we have healthy food to eat.
He is there when I trip over a toy and don't break an ankle.
He is there when one of them whacks another and there is a chance to learn more about living well with each other.
He is there when they crack each other up in the car and laugh so hard that I can't stop laughing, too.
He is there.

Do you see Him?

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Ali, I love this post. Love. Thanks for the reminder...