Sunday, June 12, 2011

House Update!

FINALLY, I found my USB cable so I can show you some of what we've been up to. Over a week into moving, we're getting there, but still have a long way to go. I can't use what superpowers I might have had in the past to get unpacked in two days because of Exhibits C, D, and E. :) But I'm embracing this chaos a little more than I thought I would.

We initially piled everything in the garage, which is closed off and is now the playroom. it was apparently heated/cooled by the man who lived here 20 years ago because he used it as a home gym! So now it's the boys' room. But before that, there was this:


and this:

Goodness gracious. That room is now filled with toys and books, and we're looking for just the right organization solution to get these toys (reasonably) under control!

We also had to get a new washer and dryer, which was an ouch in the $$$ department, but was necessary. We kept saying we would try out the ones in the house before we moved in, but then before we knew it, we were all moved in and had no clue how they worked! Turns out that they barely wash or dry clothes. Hmm, no good. Homedepot.com to the rescue and in 4 days we had these:


So purty. I never thought I could love an appliance (or a pair, rather) so much. Cole & Dean were mesmerized by the tumbling. Thank goodness for the child-lock feature on these things!

My big project has been painting the fireplace in the family room. Now that the wood paneling is all painted, we decided to paint the fireplace to match the lighter feel we want in the room. Painting brick is no joke because really, there's no going back... so we went from this:

(This was a day after we moved in, hence the mess!)

No turning back...

And then the brick painted to match the walls! Picture is crooked because I was holding Emmett while taking it:

I think it looks good! Now to finish alllllll the wood trim in the family room, paint the kitchen, and paint the trim in there to freshen everything up. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Painting is funny because you get immediate gratification from making a change in your environment. I don't know about you though, I get really excited and that quickly fades. haha Adrenaline peaks and then crashes and I think, 'What did I get myself into?' So I just stop and wait for another wave of inspiration to come back before diving back in. Not like there's nothing else I can do in the meanwhile. :)

And also, Emmett has started solid food! We are skipping cereals for a variety of reasons and are going right to sweet potatoes. He LOVES them, although occasionally does the baby tongue-thrusting thing, so we're not pushing it. Emmett shrieks between bites and frantically grabs for the spoon. It's humorous.

Don't mind the hat. Cole decided to dress him. :)

That's it! The boys are getting used to the space, although Cole still says that he doesn't like the new house. :/ I know it's because he misses his Cville friends and he is such a routine guy that whatever is a *known* is king. I think in time he'll be right at home, too. :)

1 comment:

molly said...

Yay! I love house updates. Maybe because it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one living with chaos!

I love the washer/dryer and the fireplace looks great too! It's coming along although I hate painting. LOATHE it.