Friday, July 8, 2011

It's Tough Being Two

Now that Dean is doing well in his walker, I decided to get brave and TRY just getting him out of the car and into his walker in the parking lot at the mall. I had Emmett in the Ergo carrier and Dean in his walker. Not sure why it didn't occur to me, but you know how 2-year-olds typically like to wander off and not listen to where their parents want them to go? Apparently 2-year-olds in walkers do the same thing. haha In about 5 seconds, I abandoned Plan A and directed Dean back (instead of grabbing his hand like most kids, I just grab his walker :)) to the car so I could get the stroller and wait until we were inside to get going again. Maybe we'll try again in 6 months. lol

Other two-year-old behavior recently has included yelling, throwing toys, having tantrums if not given things INSTANTANEOUSLY (yes, I'm yelling) and being very determined in what he wants to do. Thankfully, his tantrums (knock on wood) thus far are manageable, as he is more easily redirected compared with Cole.

Dean had his EI evaluation on Tuesday and I didn't even blog about it because it was just frustrating. I realized how much his therapists in Charlottesville had grown to know him when the therapists who came to evaluate him made all sorts of judgments that just aren't Dean. It was good to see more progress in certain areas that have been challenging, like gross motor and speech, but really, I knew that already. I don't need numbers to tell me. It's like getting on the scale - you have an idea of how it's going to shake out, but then seeing actual numbers either gives you false confidence or is depressing.

There was also one point where Dean was thoroughly engrossed in one of the toys the therapists brought for him to explore. The evaluator rang a small bell near Dean and he didn't turn to listen for it until quite a bit later. She said it was possibly evidence that he has a hearing problem and so is putting on Dean's IFSP that we need to see an audiologist. I contested that we have truly no other reason to believe that Dean has a hearing problem, but she insisted that his reaction to the bell was "odd" and that perhaps some of his speech delay was due to a hearing loss. Seriously? Umm, have you heard about how low muscle tone affects speech? So now if we don't go to the audiologist, I'm going to be seen as "neglecting" the plan. Grr. Don't get me wrong, you know I'm all about seeking the appropriate help if needed. But really, we have no reason to think there is a problem here. So off we go.

Our IFSP meeting is delayed until Tuesday (don't mind us, who wants to start therapy any time soon?) and then hopefully services will start after that. This is me being patient. It's tough being two, and it's also tough having the patience of someone who is 2 as well. :)

3 comments:

horace said...

I remember Olivia ignoring the bell too during the EI evaluation (although she has "perfect" hearing as shown by her hearing tests). I have so many negative feelings about EI evaluations, which I will keep to myself. Just wanted to emphathize with the hearing recommendation as being silly and maybe stupid. So he was more interested in something other than the bell...

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Carolyn, I bet I have a lot of the same things to say. :) I've heard so many stories of kids ignoring the bell that why in the heck do they still do it? Sorry, this stuff makes me mad. It's less about a potential hearing problem and more about how things are handled. Ugh.

Gelliott said...

It is standard in Iowa that all kids who are in the NICU have a follow up with an audiologist. Penny had one at 6 months and 18 months and both were fine. We go back in a year. It isn't a bad thing and is really great to know--because if there IS a hearing deficit it could make a big difference!! Although, I HATE ALL EI type of evaluations and I HATE ALL "Denver" developmental screenings. We all know how well kids "perform" when we want them to.