Friday, July 29, 2011

Just So You Know I Wasn't Making it Up. :)

I have to say, the day after I posted that Dean was walking, he backed way off and started crawling a lot more. I was discouraged for the moment, but figured that it was just part of the process of his brain and muscles getting used to this huge new development.

But then another day or so and he was back up on his feet giving it a go. Go, Deano!

So today I was able to document it! Dean was already walking a bit before I shot this video and I had the presence of mind to say, "Ack, get the camera!" to my brain. Glad I finally got it on video!

Dean still falls plenty, but I really think he's doing great with walking and he really doesn't want his walker much any more. It's so fun to see him navigate the world upright all on his own. Unlike when he's crawling or using his walker, he doesn't just mow people over when he's walking. He pauses, then keeps going or changes directions depending on what is needed. Makes my heart happy. :)

6 comments:

Colleen said...

GO DEANO GO! Makes my heart swell with joy just seeing him walk. Selfishly, I was wondering where the video was when you posted he could walk :) You are always good with having videos. Dean has worked so hard and has come so far! You are doing a great job Ali :) Because of you, your will as a mom, and Dean's determination, every milestone will be met. I love to hear about Dean, Cole, Emmett and how the house is coming along. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Tracy said...

Go Dean! Tell him his best gal Miss Tracy is proud of him. (I can only imagine his smiles when he walks. And you know how that smile melts my heart.)

LOVING your blog. I just broke the news to Lila that you guys wouldn't be back at school next year. She sighed and said "Oh mama, but he was such a nice friend." Then she proceeded to tell Corena a story about how she dumped sand on him one day and had to sit in the Sally Sit Out. "But Cole just laughed the whole time." Haha.

JMB said...

That is so wonderful. I remember Soph's first steps...couldn't believe it! But such a joyful moment! Go Dean.

Anonymous said...

That is so great to see! Our (PWS)son is 19 months and that seems so far away! But we know the day will come.
GO DEAN!!! Thanks for sharing. /Stacy

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Stacy, keep up the faith! I thought Dean still had a long way to go, and at almost 27 months, I was losing my patience (not with him, just with how long it was taking). But we just kept plugging away with all the things we were doing to help him walk and it's like it came out of nowhere!

Katie said...

WOW! WOW! It's so great to see him walking. Am amazed at how well he is doing. Just to think that a week or so he wasn't on his feet. Answer to prayers. Grandma