Monday, August 8, 2011

Saying Yes

Just some pieces of wisdom and reflection I have enjoyed lately regarding families. I think all the time about how I love our little family just the way it is. Cole has picked up on the comments from strangers about having 3 boys and whether we're having more (an at least daily occurrence - truly!) and asked me why no more kids. I told him that things were perfect just the way they were. And I meant it. He smiled. And it stopped his questions, at least for the time being. :)





I wish I did all these things well. Working on it. In the last one, there's a line about saying "yes" more often. I've thought about how in the shuffle of 3 little boys on a daily basis, there are a lot of "no"s, a TON of "hold on a minute" or variants thereof, and other non-yeses. Striving to say "yes" more often requires creativity that sometimes I'm not sure I have. But can you imagine just hearing "no" all the time? Not pleasant. Obviously this doesn't include instances of discipline, but more in everyday requests and activities. Figuring out how to say "yes", even in part, is a worthwhile endeavor. And it feels good for everyone. :)

2 comments:

Maegan0514 said...

Ali, I feel you on this one! I have been having a lot of parenting thoughts lately. I feel like Carter is not getting my "all" and it makes me sad. He is such a busy 3 year old and I am a busy mom...I feel like I never make time for HIM. He talks my ear off all day. It is so easy to blow him off with "Hold on", "Not now", "Maybe", etc...

Kevin said...

"Yes", has to be said for things in the domain of the immediate. "Maybe", is for the future, with the hope of a "yes". "No" can be better than a broken hope "maybe". "Spam" is for when you just want to confuse them. "Silly" can be a gentle "no".