Saturday, August 13, 2011

Missing Grandma

Today would have been my grandma's 88th birthday. She passed away last year on July 7. I miss her terribly. I think about her all the time, because she was just one of those people who had so much life in her and her spirit was just... everywhere. Yes, she lived a long life, but it still felt cut short because she had so much love and light to give. You should have met her, if you didn't. I can still feel her hugs that were so tight that you thought you might pop. :) There was a whole lot of love in that hug.

As I've mentioned before, the thing my grandma cared about most was feeding you. Ok, that wasn't totally it, but she got such joy out of making sure that she provided for you in this way. If you were judged too skinny by her standards, watch out - you had better put some time aside to sit down and prepare to be stuffed.

But really, behind this, my grandma cared about family. She wanted her family to be together, to be happy, to know they were loved. She told us constantly that she was praying for us every day, and I know she meant it. If you married into the family, you were as good as blood. I've learned so much for her about the importance of family and sticking together. This trickled over into my nuclear family, where we spent minimal time in our rooms and a lot of time together. Sometimes doing different things, but still together. We shared many things together. Ask my mom, I still call her about 40 times a day. :)

Grandma's legacy for family is something I want to pass on to our boys. We want them to know that at the end of the day, our Five is where their hearts can rest. She would have loved to see us having dinner together tonight. Well, maybe she did see.

Here's to you, Grandma. I miss you every day. I hope you've been able to enjoy us from your new Home and see our big move, enjoy Cole's many questions and conversations, rejoice in Bob's new job, meet our new son Emmett, see Dean walk - and that you are proud of us. We love you.

No comments: