Monday, September 12, 2011

First Day of School!

Today was Cole's first day of Pre-K! He is going Monday through Friday, 9:30-12:30. The time snuck up on me this morning as I suddenly realized that the summer was over and it was GO time!

I was planning to take the classic first-day-of-school picture. You know, the one where the child is adorably dressed, grinning ear to ear, and preferably holding a sign that says, "My first day of Pre-K!"

Except that it was 9:05 and I realized that Dean was still in his PJs, Emmett needed a diaper change, I needed to brush my hair, and Cole needed a snack. Oh heck. So we got this:



I know, I should enter one of those Mom-turned-photographer contests. I'm a pro. But isn't he cute?

Drop-off went fairly well. I kept Dean in a stroller so that we could roll in, say goodbye in the hallway outside Cole's classroom, and Dean would have no time to go in and get attached to much of anything (which would result in a tantrum upon departure). He whimpered a bit when Cole left, but surprisingly was calm. As with last year in preschool, Cole had zero transition issues and I had to ask him to say goodbye. I remember being a Pre-K teacher and hey, I'll take it. I know when to take my cue and leave!

I went to the playground with Dean & Emmett and I have to say that having "just" the two felt like a vacation. Oh, perspective. I think it's going to be a great way to get to know Emmett a little more since Cole and Dean require a lot of attention in their own ways. And I'm looking forward to getting to know Dean in his role as a big brother. Different parts of his personality come out when he's just with Emmett. We all had a great time and then went to pick Cole up because the first day is only two hours to ease the kids in.

We walked up to the classroom door outside (each room has their own door to the outside) and when Cole was ushered out, Dean threw his arms up in the air and yelled, "YEAH!!!! YEAH!!!!" He ran over to Cole and threw his arms around him. The two of them giggled and fell to the ground. My heart was near exploding. Love that my boys are good buddies and that Dean missed Cole so much.

Cole explained his day to anyone with a willing ear, and all I know is that it involved a "cowboy center" with mean cowboys, jail, and horses; storytime; playing outside; snack (he never forgets to mention food, and he's not even my kid with PWS!); and "playing with some kids." One of the boys in his class lives right down the street from us, so hopefully they'll hit it off. It's all very exciting.

Somehow the earlier cowboy motif morphed into a pirate theme later in the day. Cole wanted me to take these pictures.



So it begins. Even though Cole went to preschool last year, it was only three days a week instead of five and I feel like this is the beginning of a new chapter. It's crazy to think that the wee little kids I spend time with constantly are going to start to fly from the nest little bits here and there. I miss them when they're not around, although it's a nice change, too.

We drove by Cole's school later in the day and he said, "Look, Mommy, my SCHOOOOOOOL!" He usually calls it his *new* school, to differentiate it from his *old* preschool in Charlottesville. I was happy to hear that he already feels like it's his. :)

4 comments:

Janet Gulley said...

My favorite part of having number 4 was getting to do preschool all over again!! The wonder and amazement is awesome.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

It IS! That's my favorite part of the age, too. I miss teaching Pre-K because of this. Must pull myself away from the classroom for now! :)

Katie said...

Ali, Loved the pics. The children are so adorable. Can't wait to see all of you on the 24th if you can make it. Grandma

Matt said...

I love the part about Dean's reaction when you picked up Cole... I'm smiling ear to ear just picturing it! :)