Thursday, September 1, 2011

I'd Make a Lousy Pilgrim.

We are back up with power! And back home. We came home Tuesday evening from my parents' house after Bob got a generator on Monday night. It was miraculous that any store even had them left! Here she is:

We put it out on the porch because it, per the instruction manual, the generator releases CO and if left inside, "IT WILL KILL YOU IN MINUTES." Eek. No need to tell us twice!

Even with the generator, there was only so much we could turn on. I decided that I really, truly love electricity more than ever before and that I would make an awful pilgrim. Hot showers, TV, a working garbage disposal, a stove, a/c... these kids are all just fine in my book. The kids were definitely out of their groove and so I'm relieved that all is back to normal. For now. Thinking about all those who are flooded, hurt, or still without power.

Thanks for your prayers about the trees. We are trying to get a company in here to get them out ASAP, but as you can imagine, they're quite busy. Also trying to find someone who will do it for a "reasonable" price - in quotes because it's all quite expensive. How does one not worry about these things? My tummy does flip-flops with it all.

Onto some pictures so you can see what's been going on over here....

Our pine that fell on our neighbor's garage. Fortunately, no damage done.

Some branches down in front of our house:

Other spots in the neighborhood. I didn't take any pictures of trees through people's houses because it just felt weird. But there were plenty. :(

I have to say, after the earthquake, the aftershocks, the hurricane, worrying about these trees, and a 5-day power outage, my nerves are kind of shot. I'm dealing with a degree of anxiety that I haven't had in a long time and I'm trying to figure out exactly what I need to do about it. The past few years have felt like a constant stream of crazy events and I'm lost on the idea of where the "break" is. Do we deserve "breaks?" Rests? I don't know. I don't think anyone promised that, but I sure keep expecting it. We are thankful that our family is ok and that our house is ok, but it just all feels a bit tenuous. I know this is anxiety speaking. Would love to hear your thoughts.




No comments: