Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Face of Joy


This is a picture from last week, of Cole with his good friend Suzie. Suzie's mom, Jill, took the picture with her phone after the two were trading giggles while trying on different dress-up outfits.

I love this picture. I love it for knowing who we've met here in Richmond and the value of friends. I love it for knowing that our family is loved and loves others. And I love it for the smile spread across Cole's face, a moment capturing joy.

I look at that picture and think, will I be able to do justice to that smile? Will I help him nurture that joy? Will I teach him to hang on to that state of the heart no matter what may happen around and in him?

I often don't feel up to the task. While we are certainly not the only ones responsible for our children and their joy, we are the ones who will show them the path. In looking to be a parent, I wonder how in the world anyone decides it is a good idea to take on this mantle.

I can think of way too many ways that I fall short as a parent, but it's pictures like this one that cause me to reflect on the miracle of having these 3 boys in my life and the quest to be a better mom. They deserve it.

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them." -Deuteronomy 4:9

No comments: