Saturday, November 12, 2011

Crazy Door

Sooo, I painted the front door. The teal. La Fonda Teal. It's a pretty color, just maybe not on our door....

Come take a look...

Coat of primer and three coats of paint later...

Uhhh, no. Bob likes it. I do not. This was SO not the color on the paint chip. Holy moly. Onto the next color...

As our next-door neighbor put it, "Itttttttt's... different." Hoping the other neighbors don't think we're crazy pants before we can get the door repainted.

The other adventure was trying to switch out the deadbolt. Apparently, things have changed in 40 years and so the new "standard" locks don't fit the old "standard" doors. It's going to need to involve a drill and other stuff. So I ended up taking out the old deadbolt, trying to install the new one, and then putting the old one back in - upside-down. At that point, I didn't even care and it worked (technically), so that was the end. Calling the handyman on Monday!

7 comments:

Jack said...

From a distance it doesn't look bad. (a distance of at least 2 miles) :)

Actually, it really doesn't look that bad with the brick, but it doesn't match the shutters at all. Why don't you paint all the shutters the same teal color and see how that looks?

I think if your house was in Bermuda, near the water, this color would look great! Though, you might have to paint all the brick white.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

LOL at 2 miles. I'm so not painting all the shutters right now. I'd rather repaint the door. :)

RE: Bermuda... there's a section of Richmond (actually in the city) where apparently it's the "in" thing to paint your brick house. There are all sorts of crazy colors, including yellow, pink, and peach!

Andrea said...

I don't know what it looks like up close, but I like it in the photo. Please don't call me crazy. :)

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Andrea, you're not crazy, don't worry! I do like the color, just not on the house. Plus, there's something about the door where it looks like it's floating or something. I'm wondering if a color that ties in more with some of the darker hues in the bricks will "ground" it a bit more.

Matt P said...

I don't think the door color's as bad as you say... I agree w/ your dad that finding a new matching colors for shutters would help; but it looks good! (and yes, I'm in the same "Don't-call-me-crazy" category as Andrea).

But more than anything I felt I had to post and say: you amaze me. We have an unfinished bookshelf for which we've had "Finish bookshelf" on the to-do list for literally 2 years now. And we've had "paint other nursery walls" (we only did one accent wall at first) on the list for ~1 year now. We only have one child and haven't done either. You have three, and have basically re-done everything in your stinkin' house! Where do you find the time??? (Does the not-sleeping-at-night help or something? :))

Anyway: you inspire me... maybe I'll paint the nursery after all... in 4 months from now :).

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Matt, today right after I started the first coat of paint of the new color on the door, I decided that the color was really growing on me. Oops. But I'm still going to go with the new color, to be revealed soon. :)

How do I get it done? I'm crazy. And don't sleep much. And there are certain other things I endlessly procrastinate about, you know, so non-important things like painting the front door get accomplished. So it's all an illusion, I guess. lol

Gina B said...

I was definitely thinking a darker teal. ;)