Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Daylight Saving Time is for Losers

Saw this on Facebook from Heidi Stone Photography. I think some of you might be able to relate.


Oh man, is that accurate. Our kids already often get up between 5 and 6, so DST made that around 4:40. They're all up by 5:30. Blech. They'll likely find their way back to a slightly more humane waking schedule, just in time for us to spring ahead, I'm sure. :)

And me? I'm ready for bed by about 8pm. It's 8:22 right now, so I'm burning the midnight oil, clearly. And I miss having as much time in the afternoon for it to be light out and have the boys romp around outside. We spend a lot of time outside these days now that we're getting into the groove of having a yard and a driveway. Dean and Cole love to play wiffleball and Emmett likes to crawl around and eat acorns look cute. We take walks and I am reminded so much of why I like the fall.

In other news, we're looking to paint the front door. The shutter door is going to go. There's nothing more anticlimactic than opening your front door only to be staring into giant shutter slats. It could be the UPS man, our sweet neighbors across the street, or a serial killer. Who knows? They all look the same through the slats. So it's time to get a new storm door and then paint our front door. Any votes on a color? We're stuck. Here are some pics to jog your memory:


We're keeping the red shutters for now, so no changing those. Hit me with some colors!

8 comments:

Kevin said...

It was SO nice in Indiana when we were on standard time, all the time. For five years we didn't have to reset the clocks, unless we had one of our frequent power-outages. Cows and pigs don't wear watches. Then after we moved back to NY, central Indiana decided that they had to have Day Light Saving time, AND WENT ON EASTERN TIME!!! They are only a few hours from Chicago, but a long way from NY. So now, in the summer it is getting along towards 10PM and the sky is still bright.

Jack said...

Any color will be an improvement with that departure of that shutter door!
I would consider FED-STD-595 Color No. 15177

Ali Foley Shenk said...

GUnK, I think about you guys all the time because I remember when you moved to Indiana and my dad told me you all didn't "do" Daylight Saving. I didn't know it was optional. :) That's crazy that they switched, though! 10pm is pushing it for light.

Dad, thanks for sending me on a crazy Google chase. I concur with your choice of color, but it was shot down by a certain Bob Shenk and a certain wife of yours! I might paint it that color anyway. Everyone will have to deal. lol

Gina B said...

I did a google image search for "brick house" to see what colors their doors were. Looks like brown and white are typical. You probably don't want white because you have 3 boys... and I think brown is boring so I can't suggest that... how about dark blue? Or a dark teal?

Elizabeth Phillips said...

Really? He couldn't have just said teal? I have a friend who painted her front door a pretty Tiffany blue. But you gotta think about your shutters. What about a hunter green? Or a charleston green (which is so dark in some lights it's black)? A charcoal could work too.

And I think I'm the only person who loves DST. Because Now waking my kids up at 8 isn't like trying to rouse teens. Seriously. And even still I have to just flip the lights on for G and then ease in or she is ripe. Henry is a happy riser, just loves to snuggle and looks at books. I know. My kids are weird.

Anonymous said...

Ali, I like the teal blue that was suggested. I think its a good idea to get rid of the shutters. I frankly like a storm door between me and the person who rings my bell. You need to let me know what the paint Jack suggested is. Is that some kind of a joke? Grandma

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Dad, you're such an engineer. :)

EJP, that's amazing that your kids roll with DST. One less thing to lose sleep over! (literally) :)

Grandma, the color my dad is suggesting is what I think is also called Colonial Williamsburg Blue... something like that. It's definitely in the running. Although now I'm thinking about that dark teal....

Kevin said...

I really like Elizabeth's suggestion of Hunter Green with a brick house. However, if the door is exposed to sun, I have found deep greens and almost any blue are very fragile. The back wall of our city house would turn from Hunter Green to a dull dark blue since it was the side facing the winter sun. That was an oil based paint too.