Wednesday, November 16, 2011

First IEP Meeting!

It went pretty well! The team of folks was really great. There was an assistant principal of the school where the meeting was who was part of the meeting and she was AWESOME at reading my mind and "translating" the bureaucratic-speak before the questions even came out of my mouth.

I felt really confident having Bob there and he was great about chiming in, which made it feel like we were really a team (and now I'm crying... :)).

The goals they developed for Dean were appropriate and I think we're going to go ahead with everything, like, in two weeks!! My baby is going to school in two weeks (Now I'm really crying...).

At Dean's age, it's "just" an educator coming to our house once a week to work with him, and then once a week we go to a group at a daycare that incorporates typical peers. He'll get PT there. We have to get speech out of Children's because with how well Dean uses nonverbal communication, at age 2 that "counts" enough that he doesn't have a "need" for speech therapy (don't start me on that part :)). But it's fine because they're incorporating communication goals in his IEP anyway, and then we have Children's.

I think that's it! Now I just need to find a babysitter for the time when Dean has group because I have to be there and can't bring Emmett.

All in all, pretty good for our first time. :)

No comments: