Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I Choose Joy

I don't write poems. They just don't come to me, or really make sense to me. It's just not a medium I connect with.

On that note, I wrote a poem. :)


I Choose Joy

I choose joy
Not because it's the obvious thing,
or the logical thing,
or the easy thing.

I choose joy
because it's the sure thing,
the pure thing,
the cure thing.

I choose joy
because without it,
I'd be lost,
there'd be no point,
only a cost,
no footing,
I'd just be tossed.

I need You in each day
in each moment,
or else I'd stay
in such a dark place,
a place You did not create
a place You hate
and did not intend for me.

I choose joy
today.
And when tomorrow becomes today,
and today becomes yesterday,
I choose it again
and again,
and again.
It's what I do.

4 comments:

Jack said...

Real nice, Ali. Love, Papa. :)

When I said, “My foot is slipping,”
your unfailing love, LORD, supported me.
When anxiety was great within me,
your consolation brought me joy.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

You got it! That's a good one.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Reminds me of Sister Gertrude and those amazing poems she used to recite. :)

Kevin said...

Happy "Double Birthday Eve" Jack!

Ali, I liked it too.