Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I Read a Book

Yes, at 30 this should not be a huge feat. But since graduating from seminary in 2009, I have not finished a single book. I mean, assuming that Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? doesn't count.

You see, in seminary, we had to read 2,000 pages PER CLASS. Multiply that by 20 classes and that's approximately 4 billion pages (I said approximate). I read a lot, but it also kind of ruined the love of reading that I've always had. I've finally felt that the detox period was over and so I read A Good and Perfect Gift by Amy Julia Becker. LOVE. IT. The book is about the journey of Amy Julia and her husband Peter having their first daughter, Penny. Penny was born with Down syndrome. I could relate to so many of the experiences, the feelings, the reactions from others, the questions for God, the process. Over the next few days, I'm going to share a few of my favorite sections.
(Image courtesy of www.amyjuliabecker.com)

"I looked at Penny in [my sister] Kate's arms. All the medical terminology implied anything but perfection. Birth defect. Chromosomal abnormality....
'What I want to figure out is whether Down syndrome is a mistake,' I said. 'I know that scientists and doctors would say that it is.' I gestured toward the papers on the table. 'But how do I think about it in terms of God? Is it a manifestation of sin in the world? Is Penny less perfect than that little girl who was born next door?'....
How could she be a mistake?
I looked up when Mom spoke in her gentle, level voice. 'The only evidence of sin that I see in Penny's birth is how we respond to her.'" (pg. 48-49)

So true.

5 comments:

Gina B said...

2,000 pages, not books, right? ;)

Jennifer said...

That threw me for a loop for a second! :-) I wouldn't finish a single book for a very long time either if I had to read 2,000 books per class! I like reading but I always disliked my English classes, especially high school English. There was something I just absolutely hated about being forced to surgically dissect what I'd read, talk about symbolism, and find meaning where I saw none. I got a 5 on my English AP exam and was overjoyed to bypass both the literature and writing core classes at BC. Thanks for the suggestion - just ordered the book!

Kevin said...

She hasn't posted since Wednesday. It must be a really good book!

Ali Foley Shenk said...

haha. I just didn't feel like posting last night. :) New one coming up!

Laurie said...

Love, love, love that mother's response in the book. Thanks for sharing.