Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years' Priorities

I don't typically like the concept of resolutions, because I feel like if I'm going to resolve to do something, I should just do it. I know, having the structure of a new year and the concept of a new beginning is helpful.

However, the last few years, I've more thought of priorities that I'm aiming to keep for the coming year. Some of these are basically just resolutions in sheep's clothing. Here they are:

-Focus on my family. Meaning, my husband, my 3 boys, and our respective nuclear families.
-Focus on my health. Realizing that a balanced diet, sleep, and exercise are all necessary for me to be the best me for the above prioritized people.
-To learn how to be a better friend. I've been so focused on my little ones the past, oh, 4 years or so that sometimes I lose sight of the friends I need so much as well.
-Become comfortable with the "gap." I'm not very good at waiting on an idea that I desire to act upon. Basically, I'm about 3 years old. Delayed gratification is for losers the blessed. It's sometimes actually good to sit with an idea and wait, put it on the back burner, take time. Or D, all of the above.
-Realize that I have limits. If you're a follower of this blog, you already know that I have limits. I, however, am still learning this. Good to know.

What are your priorities or resolutions for the new year?

Happy 2012!!

(my little cuties with their Papa, just because I love them)

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Happy New Year Ali! My NY resolution has been consistent over the years - to not let PWS rule our world, to make sure we have a good balance....it is hard but we always try to make sure the family dynamics aren't run by power of the world of special needs...our daughter (now 16 and a beautiful, mature young woman) needed that from us....all the best to your beautiful family for 2012!

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Cindy, yes, I love that!!! Happy New Year to you, too!

mollie said...

simplify. focus.

that is really the core of it for me. simplify life, focus on what matters. let the rest peel away.