Saturday, January 7, 2012

Giving Wheat the Boot

In a confluence of factors, including a new book I'm reading (look at me now, TWO books), my post yesterday about allergies, and my own battles with eczema, I've decided to do something drastic: give up wheat. Collective sigh.

I don't make New Year's resolutions because I'm also allergic to structure and resolutions just seem so... final. So instead I try to apply reverse psychology to myself and pretend that I'm just doing a little experiment. But really, isn't this
a motive to change? I have eczema like this all over my body. I won't show you all the pictures. And I've been dealing with it on and off my whole life. There was a long break between when I was about 14 and when I got pregnant with Emmett and my eczema flared up again. It's getting worse still and something needs to be done. Creams and other band-aid-type treatments have only done so much. I've shoved aside commitment to getting to the root of it because I just didn't want to. But instead of just focusing on my 3 sweet boys, I need to take care of myself. Stop the insanity.

Dean, because of PWS, has a low-grain diet and is wheat-free as well. So I have some solidarity. And my dad and brother have both gone the same route to help their allergies, and it's helped. So it's worth a shot. Giving up wheat now is surely easier than it was when my dad did it about 20 years ago. Wish me luck, and don't offer me pasta! :)

9 comments:

Candice said...

Good luck! There is always gluten free pasta! Graham is gluten free and there are many substitutions. You can have a well rounded diet. Rice is more versatile than you realize!

grandma Bidon said...

Oh it's the wheat. The good news is that the other grains may be okay. But with dad and Tim doing well off wheat compared to what they used to feel like, you must have the wheat allergy too. Unfortunately it is in the genes from the Foley side. I can have wheat. But with all of the gluten free options now of breads especially at Whole Foods, you might be able to find a bread you will like
wheat free. You need to give it a few weeks to get out of your system. of course you also have other food allergies probably but this is usually for allergic people always a big culprit. As a baby your eczema scared the pediatrician because it was just so bad. We went down to 2 foods only for you to eat then since you reacted to everything we gave you.
Food intolerances will show up shortly after ingesting the culprit. Be very aware on how you feel after eating each food so you know if something is bothering you.

sara said...

i, too, have given up wheat recently. my dad has within the year been diagnosed with celiac disease, and based on my research, the gene from the dad's side on this is pretty strong apparently. also, i seem to have other syndromes or disorders (thyroid, skin dryness) that have all been linked to celiac in some way or other. it is all new to me, so i am definitely in the adjusting phase. but just know that your solidarity reaches as far as TX at the very least!

pray for you and your fam often.

-sara

Alysa said...

We gave up wheat last year as I was diagnosed with celiac disease. It's tough at first, and the hardest part is eating out or at parties. But you can do it, and I bet you will feel so much better! If you are looking for recipes, I have a gluten-free tab on my blog with lots of ideas :) Good luck!

The Hanson Family said...

I gave up gluten 6 months ago to see if it was the cause of many problems I was having including intestinal issues, daily headaches, getting dizzy after every meal, psoriasis on my arms and legs, lack of energy and the list goes on and on. It took about a week for these symptoms to start going away once I gave up gluten. Yes, it's a pain in the butt bit it's so worth it to be feeling good again. I have a 1 year old and 4 year old so I need to be feeling good for them. I hope you get the results you are looking for.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Sara, Alysa, and the Hanson Family,
Thank you so much for visiting and for your input!! it's good to know that I'm not crazy and I'm so glad that it has made a difference for y'all.
Ali :)

Nico S. said...

There is a delicious wheat/gluten-free pasta at most health food stores made out of Jerusalem artichoke flour. The brand is DeBoles, it's an amazing alternative and tastes just like regular pasta. I can help you with some other recommendations if you need (brands, etc). Good luck!!

Karen said...

I don't know if you have a Trader Joes grocery store near you, but their Brown rice pasta is great and is only $1.99lb!

Blessings!
glimpsesofglory-karen.blogspot.com

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Thanks for all the product suggestions!! It's so encouraging how far gluten-free products have come.