Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Duplicates

Add it to the list of things I said I would never do as a parent.

I said that I would never buy duplicate or triplicate items for the sake of alleviating arguments about sharing. I, in my infinite wisdom and patience, would endure the yelling and tugging over common objects and get my children to understand that taking turns and being selfless is the way to go.

Apparently, I must never have interacted with small children when I made this judgment.

Now more than ever, with 3 little boys all wanting the same things, I drive home the lesson about sharing and taking turns. They really do pretty well, all things considered. Cole likes to referee between Dean and Emmett, Emmett likes to scream if he wants a toy, Dean likes to pull toys away from his brothers... you get the idea. But really, they're pretty good about it.

Enter the plasmacar. Given for Dean's 2nd birthday, it's been a hit ever since. Dean likes to claim it as his, which it is, but we try to share it, too. Now that Emmett is just tall enough to use it, it's a hot commodity.

It was time for the plasmacar to be cloned.

Rather than it being a parental caving point, I see it as a victory. It wasn't a million dollars (it was $50), they're getting exercise, it makes them happy, and it makes mama happy.

Cole and Dean do laps around the house. Too cute.


And no, we're not getting a third one. For now.

No comments: