Friday, March 2, 2012

Speech and PC

Dean started a few weeks ago with a new SLP in addition to the SLP he sees through Children's. This SLP specializes in apraxia and we figured that it couldn't hurt to go ahead and see someone who can treat him for that. We've seen her three times and Dean is already making great progress. Well, it's baby steps overall, but his speech on demand is increasing a bit and he's been spontaneously using more words: "all done," "Elmo," "Papa," and more. These are primarily words that he used to say and then stopped almost a year ago.

Around the same time, we also started supplementing Dean with phosphatidylcholine. I know, say that 5 times fast (which, just by the way, should grammatically be "5 times quickly" :)). Phosphatidylcholine, or PC, is supposed to be helpful for motor planning, or how your body maps out how to solve a problem and tell your muscles how to go ahead and accomplish it. In particular, it's supposed to help with speech.

Every time I talk about supplements, I'm half thinking about how the supplement is actually working (or sometimes, not), and half thinking that you'll all think we're crazy for giving this stuff to our kid. But really, if you're dealing with a syndrome that involves missing genetic information, including information about how to metabolize and use certain nutrients, well... it's not all that crazy.

In that vein, we've noticed a definite change in how Dean problem-solves, including how he moves his muscles to accomplish speech. So we're calling PC a success for now! I'm interested to see what else is out there, supplements or not, to help our Deano.

On another note, I found this yesterday when I went to get some water at the fridge:

Haha. Guess someone was thirsty!

3 comments:

-Courtney Lane- {blog} said...

Haha! I laughed at that sippy cup picture. So funny.

Dot Wiggins said...

Hi, I was wondering if you have come to a conclusion about the PC? I am considering starting my son with CAS on it.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Dot,
GREAT question. We used the PC from the Neuro-Optimizer supplement by Jarrow's. I *thought* there was some initial improvement, but then it seemed to fade. And then we took Dean off of it and it didn't make a shred of difference. So, in short, no. But I'm wondering if there's a different form or brand that we could have tried? Dean has CAS too, let me know if you find a brand that works!! Or anything else for that matter! Best of luck,
Ali :)