Friday, March 16, 2012

Weeding Time

Spring is basically here, even though when Cole asks, I tell him we have another week or so. The weather has been beautiful here in Richmond - warm, even hot at times.

When we moved in last June, we inherited a lawn that had been basically neglected, and therefore was (is...) about 96% dirt and weeds. Throw in a flagpole removal, tree removal and the resulting mulch, and the passing of more time, and we have ourselves an even-bigger mess.


So now, being spring, it's time to weed. It's time to go through and kill the weeds so that, come autumn, the healthier lawn that can be here has the space and air to grow.

This means that our lawn will of course look worse before it looks better; EVEN WORSE than this. And then even when new grass starts to grow in at the end of this year, it will be seasons still before we have anything resembling a healthy lawn. And even once that lawn is here, we will have to work each year to KEEP it healthy and not to let the weeds grow in.

When I look back over the last 6 months or so, I feel like I've been in a weeding period. God is pulling some nasty things out of me so that he can then plant some more good seeds in my heart. I was looking a little worse (not physically, just stick with the metaphor here), but I have the hope of better because I can feel that good things are on the horizon. I can trust that God is a God who has the best in store for me. Here's to a healthier, more vibrant, more faithful me.

No comments: