Monday, May 7, 2012

Light and Life

Beautiful weather means we've been outside a lot. The water table is a big hit, as always. I put some soap in there for the trifecta of bubble-making, "cleaning" the kids a little, and "cleaning" the table a little. Ha.
Summer coming means that there are berries galore at a reasonable price, and the boys are obsessed with blueberries and strawberries. Emmett will bang on the fridge or grab an old strawberry container and repeat, "BERRIES, BERRIES, BERRIES." It's hilarious. Blueberries = messy = looking like the scene at a Smurf murder.
And we get to see some new life in this season of growing, out in the huge patch of dirt that used to be a home for two giant trees and some shrubs. Surprised the kids haven't killed it yet.
Each winter, I look around at the bare trees, the dormant plants, the dead plants, and I lose hope. I forget how much everything IS alive in the spring and summer, and I forget just how beautiful it really is when it's alive. My hopes are confined to what I see around me, and even when I think about the splendor of the warmer seasons, it's almost like I don't believe it will happen AGAIN.

To me, this is what it's like to trust God in the dark seasons. I don't *think* I feel like we're there (I'm qualifying it because every time I say I'm *not*, it seems that I am...), but I have the clarity of mind now to think on those times and realize how short-sighted I can be. The deadness of the dark seasons is real to some extent, but it pales in comparison to the light and the life that is the REAL truth. Here's to living in the light.

(And here's a plug to vote today for the PWS video! We're in first by about 2000 votes! Only 4 days left! http://www.fpwr.org/vote)

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Wish there was a like button for this post!