Monday, May 28, 2012

Or Maybe Not...

My post about homeschooling and some other posts on my Facebook page about the topic generated a lot of responses, more than I would have imagined. A lot of people have either decided to homeschool themselves or have seriously considered it. It seems to be a growing movement. Others were maybe not considering it for themselves, but were seeing more and more how and why people would HS their children. Bob and I had been on the same page about it, and then as things developed and we had more time to pray and talk about it, Bob started feeling more uncertain. For a variety of reasons, really. One of the biggest being concerned that Cole will be happy (at least for now) in a HS setting. Yes, there are plenty of opportunities to interact with others throughout the course of the week. But Cole is one of those kids who can go to the playground and find some others to play with, but it doesn't usually excite him too much. The second he sees one of his already-established friends at the park, he never wants to leave. I've been told by others in the HS community that while there are plenty of opportunities to socialize, it's sometimes hard to find those opportunities with the same kids. Also, as an extreme extrovert (which I feel like I can say only because I'm one, too :)), Cole likes to be around others to do pretty much everything. He hardly ever requires alone time. So Bob sees that in him and is concerned about it. More than anything, though, Bob's gut feeling is that this just might not be our path. This is hard in the sense that I still in my heart want to homeschool for all the reasons I listed before. But, as the team that we are, as God has designed, we need to be in agreement about this. And for all the talk about *submitting* to one's husband that usually makes me want to gag, there's a reason that it's a good idea. We will continue to pray and process the decision, but as of now, it's looking like a nay. At least for now. As usual, I'll keep you posted. Remembering all those today and always who give their lives for their country, in ways that we will never fully understand....

2 comments:

Andrea said...

It's funny, Jim has the same concerns about my homeschooling E., and I have to say it makes sense, although so does HS in a lot of other ways. I do get and share his concern about moving her to a new state where she doesn't know anyone and relying on socializing her without school. Academically I think it would be a good move. Socially? I'm not sure. She's not an extrovert, but she does need friends, as we all do. As my dad used to say, "Life is hard." Figuring out the best path is a journey to be sure. Best of luck with your decision.

Kevin said...

My opinion, FWIW, is that if not now, you should seriously consider HS during the middle school years. These years seem to be the worst in public schools. They are basically a holding pen until the hormones get straightened out.