Monday, June 11, 2012

Work

A while ago, I posted about how opportunities for work for me had picked up and how I was happy about that. Well, it's a bit of a complicated story, but work for my main editing gig is pretty much over. For a month now, I've gotten the "don't call us, we'll call you" responses for work, and they won't even tell me why. There were emails sent to the other editors about some problems and we all responded with what we had been doing about it. My response was no different from those of the other editors, but the others (2 of them) were given work afterwards, and I was not. So I'm not even sure why I got voted off the island.

Freelance work must be for people who are less anxious and more able to see the bigger picture. I'm too much a lover of predictability for all the ups and downs. Not to mention that I just like my work, so there is something missing for me right now. Boo.

Bob and I have, once again, talked about me getting a job outside the home again, but I can't see something that would actually work. Bob works two nights a week, and his regular work days switch every few weeks (Sunday-Thursday, Tuesday-Saturday, or Monday-Friday). In other words, nothing is steady. Dean will be going to school for 5 half-days, and Cole for 5 full days. And then there's Emmett, who will be with me. I can't think of a childcare scenario that would fit all that combined with a job that would make enough to offset childcare right now.

God always, always provides. I think in the bigger picture, I'm not worried about that. But in the moment, I worry more because I can't see what's around me. It's like the opposite of faith, where I'm not confident about what's one step ahead of me, but I somehow know that I'm going to find my way out of the tunnel anyway. I know, it doesn't really make sense to me either.

So, if you know of someone who needs editing work, or you found some other niche in the universe that would work with our crazy situation, by all means, send it my way! Or at least just pray that I have faith for what's right in front of my face.

Of course, after I wrote this, Dean came up and just randomly gave me a hug, so I hugged him back. Don't you know, that's the best next step I think I could take. :)

5 comments:

Stop the train - I want to get on!! said...

My mother-in-law suggested that maybe I should get a job. I was very proud of myself for not being sarcastic.

This is silly but what about taking care of 1 special needs child before or after school?

Candice said...

The only way I could see you being able to work is with in-home daycare. I would think that would be pretty pricey though! Sorry to hear the work hasn't been coming. :(

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Jill, not silly! Do you have any ideas where I could find so,etching like that?

Ali Foley Shenk said...

So,etching = something :)

Laurie said...

Ali, I was thinking the same thing... special needs respite care. With your qualifications it would be a great fit. You could advertise on places like SitterCity.com and post some info at local places that do pediatric therapy or maybe even a doctor's office. You could give your info to local pediatric OT's and PT's and other services SN children use. My OT is constantly taking things I give her and distributing them to her clients.