Tuesday, July 17, 2012

ThinkInclusive

I expect to come into contact with other parents of kids with special needs in the blogosphere, but for some reason, my breath is taken away a bit when I encounter a group or organization that is dedicated to this. My heart was happy to find out about ThinkInclusive, the website of Tim Villegas, who seeks to educate and promote ideas about inclusive schools and communities (that was taken from the site).

I was first directed to a video on ThinkInclusive called "one question." Simply, if you could change one thing about yourself, what would you change? Thirty-five adults with developmental disabilities answer that question. I'll let you watch and then offer my short observations:

http://www.thinkinclusive.us/one-question/

I was struck by three things:

1. Many of them said that they wouldn't change a thing. My guess is that the general population would assume that adults with special needs, compared with many others, probably would want to change themselves. Not always the case. And for the record, I cried every time someone said they wouldn't change a thing. :)

2. Those who said that they would change something about their attitudes or behavior spoke about it not in a self-deprecating way, but just with a sober recognition that they (as we all) have room to grow.

3. Really, they want the same things everyone else does. So are people with special needs all that different?

Tim invited me to do a guest post on his website, so stay tuned for that!

No comments: