Monday, August 6, 2012

Cleaning Frenzy

Ever have a day where your own productive takes even YOU by surprise?

Before we had kids, I prided myself on cleaning our whole (tiny) apartment. I didn't say I wasn't cluttered, but it was relatively pretty good and I dusted and cleaned like it was my job. I told myself I would always keep it like this.

Then we had Cole and I told myself (all-knowing-mother-of-one that I was) that I would make sure that my kids would only take out one toy at a time and then put it back before choosing a new one.

I mean, really? Had I'd ever been around small children before?

Actually, I had. I had been a teacher and, within the confines and structure of a classroom, it was fairly easy to keep to this rule. Basically, I was awesome.

And then motherhood continued to humble me. I seriously don't know how people function with multiple children without a cleaning service. Serious props to my mom, who at least by my fuzzy recollection kept our house clean AND uncluttered pretty much at all times. Mom, I have no earthly clue how you did that!!

I know "they" say that when your kids are older, you won't wish that you'd spent more time cleaning or organizing. But, if you follow that philosophy to a T, I'm pretty sure you'll end up on an episode of Hoarders: Buried Alive and have to find your kids trapped in the corner of a room somewhere. I feel much more settled and able to handle life when my environment is in order. Not Dewey-Decimal-System-in-order, just that pathways are clear, rooms are relatively clean, people can more often than not find what they're looking for.

Emmett is all over the place and his main M.O. is destruction. Dean doesn't intentionally make a mess, but he just does in how he carries things around and then just leaves them everywhere (mostly books). Cole actually is pretty good about these things with some gentle reminders. And although we make all three boys pitch in with cleaning up each and every day, they're able to undo it all in the blink of an eye. Like Phyllis Diller said, "Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the sidewalk before it stops snowing." Preach on, Phyllis.

We are planning on hiring a cleaning lady to come starting once a month, maybe more if it works out. In the meanwhile, I got an urge to clean today and just went with it. We were out a lot of the day, so I'm not even entirely sure when I did all this, but I cleaned the whole house! Holy cow! The boys were content playing with NO fighting during the times we were home... clearly, God was smiling down and opening the door for cleaning time.

So I went all out with cleaning, even going under the beds, under the couches, in the fridge, you name it. Under the family room sofa, I found this under ONE SIDE of the sofa!



What on earth?!?! I'm surprised we didn't find another child under there! But I pressed through and made order of each room, one at a time. The result is very relaxing and easier on the eyes. Too bad it can't last forever! Until then, the cleaning lady might become my BFF.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That is so funny! The things you find. Recently I cleaned behind Clara's bed and was like opening a whole toy chest.

You'll appreciate the cleaning lady - we have someone come every other week and it makes such a difference. All she does is floors and bathrooms and it is so worth it.