Thursday, September 20, 2012

A Simple Handprint

Dean came home from his typical preschool with this:


This little handprint speaks volumes. I love it for so many reasons:

From a practical standpoint: Dean is pretty tactile defensive when it comes to his hands. I have no clue how anyone was able to stamp/paint his hand and get it on the page without him throwing a complete fit.

I love this handprint just in the simple way that a mom treasures the works that her kid brings home for school. Makes me smile, and yes, it's on our fridge already. :)

I love this handprint because, through his NOVAChat device, Dean was finally able to tell me, "I love you." I know he can't say it with his mouth, but his heart knows how to say it, and he says it well. This little poem reflects a real truth that comes from more than the spoken word.

I love how cute and small his hand is, like with any childhood imprint, because I know that all too soon, that hand will be big and thick and not so small and cute anymore. Every time Dean grabs my hand to walk with me, I think about how sweet and little it still is.

You may or may not have noticed the bent pinky finger. It was the first thing I saw when I pulled this out of Dean's backpack. As the geneticist in the NICU who clinically diagnosed Dean at 2 days old told me, the bent pinky finger is a marker of several genetic disorders, including PWS. I see his sweet hand and that curved pinky finger reminds me that this is how God made him (and yes, I believe that God made Dean this way. God doesn't make mistakes...). Although his bent pinky is not unique, the imprint of God's love on Dean's life is unique and uniquely important. God has a unique name and purpose for Dean that no one else on earth can fulfill (the same is for you and me, by the way). He knows you and has a purpose for YOU just as he has one for Dean.

"From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.'" (Acts 17:26-28a)

3 comments:

Jill H said...

You made my heart happy.

Jack said...

Wonderful!
He is special and he has special hands, and they will do special work.

The Saunderses said...

Sweetness. Thanks Ali!