Friday, September 21, 2012

In the Blink of an Eye

You may have seen this image floating around Facebook:



I think about this constantly. Being home most often with my littlest reminds me of how fleeting the time with these boys really is. Cole and Dean might not be old, but they're not Emmett's age. I told myself that I would never get sappy about my "baby" growing up because it's pointless to get worked up about it and it just sounded kind of ... lame. Yes, lame. But now I *am* that mom who is looking her youngest in the face and realizes that in the blink of an eye, he'll be 10, 16, 23, my age.... I'll be right there watching every day of it and still have NO clue how it happened. When strangers who talk about their grown children reminisce about the time they were little, I always ask, "Feels like it was yesterday, huh?" Everyone says it happens in the blink of an eye. It's not just me.

Have you ever read the book, "I Love You Forever"? Well don't, it's wicked creepy. The mom crawls into her sleeping son's bedroom through childhood and into adulthood (I know, right?) just to watch him sleep. I mean, I *do* peek into the boys' room sometimes just to check on them or maybe just see how cute they are even when they're unconscious. Even if it's been a brutal day, I treasure them. I love being with them. I don't understand WHY it all seems to go so quickly.

And why is this a sad thing? Why is it exciting to see them grow and learn and *also* sad that they are growing up? Don't answer the question, I tried to and started crying in front of the computer.

Can we opt out? I'll fill out whatever paperwork there might be. Where's the line to stand in so we can halt time? There isn't one, Ali, it does not exist. Quit trying. Sigh.

I will never be ok with them growing up (no one is listening to my requests to stop, anyway...), so I do and will treasure the moment. It will never be the same! So blessed.

2 comments:

UberFilipi said...

That is a creepy book but it also made me absolutely bawl in Barnes & Noble pregnant with Atti. Also the first month or so having him home the 3 times I read it to Ophelia I was crying by the end of it everytime. I had to put it away. I'm past that now but geesh! My husband doesn't like the book at all.

Ali Foley Shenk said...

It'll come and go, I imagine! So hard to think about the littles getting big.