Thursday, October 25, 2012

Trick or Treat

Saw this. Love this. It's good advice, and it's good even for me as a parent of someone with special needs, because I forget, too. It's a good reminder to have patience for others, because we don't know how great of a mountain that child might be pushing to participate in something as simple as trick or treat. The gross motor challenges in going door-to-door... the speech difficulties with not being able to say, "trick or treat" or even "thank you" when given a treat... the sensory issues with various costumes... the food allergies that make the enjoyment of the treats not something that is automatic....

I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for anyone or to drag the whole process down... Let's just make it a great experience for all parties involved!
For us, we focus on the costume part of Halloween and not so much on the candy part. Cole can't eat a lot of the candy because of his nut allergies. Dean really isn't supposed to eat any of it. And let's be honest, if any decent amount of candy is left at the house, I will eat all most of it. So if you come to our house, we'll be handing out glow sticks. :)

3 comments:

Y Mama said...

That is AWESOME! What a great alternative! My mom (a dental hydentist many moons ago) passed out stickers, fun erasers and pencils...we never had any more tick or treaters. Glow sticks are rad though! My children are likely to want to keep coming back! We use them all the time!

Gelliott said...

I have also done play-do as well. :) I like the glow stick idea!!

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Love these ideas! There are many possibilities. :) And not that I'm on a mission to eradicate candy from trick or treating, in case anyone was worried. There is always going to be plenty of candy. :)