Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Working Mama

Cole, our firstborn, came into a home with two people who were working AND were grad students AND were doing the whole parent thing. It sounds crazy when I think about it, and it was crazy, but it was a very common scenario where we were living at the time. It was wonderful, really.

Bob getting some studying done while Cole takes a nap...

Because I was occupying so many roles at the same time (in addition to internships that were part of my grad program), I didn't feel cornered into any one particular role. Having Dean in the spring of '09 changed everything. We had so many appointments, surgeries, therapies, and his care was so intense that there was no way I was going back to work anywhere. I continued on with my jewelry business, but tapered WAY back and I closed it within a year. I had to focus on what was going on with Dean and still be there for Cole, who wasn't even in preschool yet. Not to mention that we'd moved to a new state during this time....

After the dust settled, Cole was doing well in preschool, Dean's medical needs were slightly less and he was slightly more independent, and Bob was well into his residency as a chaplain in Charlottesville, I was ready to work. I started some editing jobs that were sent my way from an old friend and it was so thrilling to work again! It was wonderful to have my professional opinions sought out by other adults, not to mention the income was very much needed!

Two years later, we are done having kids, I am working 20-30 hours a week from home, and I love it. Once a week, our awesome babysitter comes and hangs out with Emmett for half the day while I go to Starbucks (did you catch that? By myself!) and get work done. I sit in the big comfy leather chairs with my latte and pretend like it's totally normal to be typing away on my laptop and getting things done BY MYSELF. Even yesterday, on my birthday, I went to Starbucks at my usual time and got my work on... 'cause it's that good for me. If you told me before I had kids that I'd like alone time as much as I do now, I'd have laughed in your face. Ah, perspective.

I get the rest of my work done at night when the boys are sleep. But having my time at Starbucks helps me to come home and be more present with the boys. It helps me find balance, which as we all know can be an elusive thing. I am praying that this continues as we move forward because it works so well for now.

This is not a post about whether it's better to be a working mom, SAHM, WAHM, WWJD - ok, kidding. But it's not the point. It's about finding balance. What have you done lately to find balance in your life?

No comments: