Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Time for Falling, a Time for Stitches

There's always a first time, right? Last night was our first time for stitches for one of the boys. Notice I didn't say first ER visit, just first stitches. Emmett was standing up in his chair apparently and fell and hit his head on something. I was working in the family room and Bob left the dining room for a minute to get some milk (you know, out of the fridge that is in the family room), and BAM! Waaaaaaaa... 

The cut was small, but it was WIDE. I instantly knew it needed stitches. :/ Bob whisked Emmett away and Emmett quickly recovered after the initial screaming and crying. Bob said that all was well until they went to stitch Emmett up. The numbing medicine was on, but Emmett does NOT like to be restrained in any way. Bob said it took 3 adults to hold him down and he cried so hard he almost threw up. :( But then they arrived home and Emmett was acting like nothing happened. With a big smile on his face, he said, "Emmett better! Emmett happy." Oh, my little boy. In all honesty, I'm surprised we made it through 5 years with boys and no stitches. Sigh. 

I'm reminded constantly with children (boys maybe especially?) how fragile they are and how lucky we are that they make it through each day considering the amount of exploring they do. I read something recently about child development where the author said that most children understand where their limits are and don't tend to explore to the point of engaging in something dangerous. I'm sorry... what? Have you ever been around small children before? Or heck, teenagers, or even early-20-somethings? It's just not true. I think there are some guardian angels who are overworked and underpaid for all they do for little kids like Emmett. Dean's former physical therapist told us a story about a toddler who fell off his tricycle and hit his head just so that he had a TBI. :( A *tricycle*, folks. Just about anything can happen. Stitches were nothing compared to other possibilities. Thankful for the guardian angels who keep our babies safe. 

3 comments:

Candice said...

Poor pumpkin! How scary for you guys! I would freak out if that happened to Macy. Glad the little daredevil is okay!!

Candice said...

I would freak out if that happened to Graham too. I just mentioned Macy because she's so close in age to Emmett. They are still tiny little babies, right? Right! (Still in denial that my "baby" is getting so big!)

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Absolutely! I immediately started thinking, 'this can't be happening, he's not even 2!' But he acts like such a big boy even though he's so little. And did I mention that Emmett is going to be 2 in a few weeks? Sniff, sniff.