Friday, January 18, 2013

Playing in the Snow

It's been a little while since we've been in much snow. When we lived in Charlottesville, we got dumped on one winter, but other than that, it's been since Boston that we've had the chance to enjoy much of it. Cole always asks when it's going to snow, and one time I made the mistake of telling him that it snowed a ton in Boston, but we don't get much snow here. He has decided he wants to live in Boston. :) Maybe in about 13 years, son....

But last night, it snowed just a few inches, which was enough to cancel school (woot!) and to get us out to play in the snow.






The boys loved it. And I loved it. It brought back so many memories of trudging up hills to make another out-of-control pass down some ice-covered snowy hills... lying on the ground to make snow angels with tongues out to catch the snow still falling... feeling like you could just live outside as long as you didn't have to pee or stop to eat lunch. It was wonderful.

Our (awesome) next-door neighbors have a great hill they said we could go sledding on, so in about 3.5 seconds, we were out there on the hill. Cole and Dean were loving it, but Emmett was skeptical. He kept telling me he was scared, so eventually I just grabbed him and ZOOOOOOM down the hill we went. Guess what the first word out of his mouth was after that? "AGAIN!" Haha. Another convert.

It was all just so perfect. :)

A couple of videos:

Cole -


and me -


Did you get snow? How do you feel about the snow?


3 comments:

Dora said...

I have to admit that when I first saw how much snow you had, I thought "They called off school? For that?!". Then I reminded myself, you live in Virginia and not Minnesota.

While growing up I loved snow and the huge piles of it we would get each winter. Now, I'd be happier with the amount you guys get.

Janet Gulley said...

We miss the snow. Our kids have all been raised virtually snowless! I don't think they have ever even gone sledding as the little snow we get falls on our flat coastal plain. I think it's pretty cool, though, that all our kids surf :) Guess we need to vacation to the snow. (just like we used to live in the snow and vacation to the beach)

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Dora, I know! It's so crazy what they will call school for around here. Although, I have to say, they don't do nearly as good of a job plowing here as they do in New England or, I'm sure, as in Minnesota!

I thought the same as you, though. It was nice to have some snow that there was enough to play in, but not enough that it was causing serious delays or inconveniences. This works for me!

Janet, you bring up a great point that there are wonderful things you can't really do in places where it snows a ton - like surf! I think that's pretty cool. :)