Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Iron Does a Body Good

As I posted not long ago about finding out that Dean was anemic, I knew that there was an easy fix for this. In theory, I would love to say that Dean is chowing down on spinach and liver and is getting his iron that way, but he's too picky just to make a change that quickly. So we decided to supplement first and tweak his diet later.

We started Dean on Gentle Iron, 8 mg a day (this is in addition to the 5 mg that was already in his multivitamin and whatever else he was getting through his diet). I wanted to ask around about brand and dosage because iron a supplement that you *can* overdo (see Wikipedia's entry on lead poisoning).

Image from Overstock.com

If I didn't know that I wasn't making it up, I'd think I was making it up. In a few days, Dean started drinking liquids *without prompting* all day long for the first time in his life! He has had a normal sense of thirst since then, which Dr. Miller and others have said they've seen happen with other kids. Crazy. Makes me think back to all the time that we spent fighting to get liquids into Dean's body. 

Dean's energy has also perked up and he is sleeping better (i.e., not pulling off the bipap as much!). The combination of B12 + the iron really seems to be working for him. He feels strong and alert, and his brain is doing great things. He knows how to spell his name and is picking out some sight words in print??? What on the earth! Is this all from the iron and/or the B12? As usual, who knows. But you can't deny benefits that pop up seemingly out of nowhere. 


4 comments:

Janet Gulley said...

On days where AJ is particularly energetic the big kids ask me if I have been over doing it with the b12 and iron. HA!

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Haha! That's awesome.

horace said...

Hey Ali. Olivia is possibly iron deficient as well. How do you give him the supplement? Is it chewable? How does it taste? Thanks! (And I still love reading your blog!) Carolyn

Ali Foley Shenk said...

Carolyn!! I've been thinking about you guys. :) Hope you are well. :)

I sprinkle a tiny bit of the powder in his yogurt. You can imagine this doesn't taste very good. I add a little honey to his yogurt and his fish oil has an orange flavor to it (I mix that in too). Gosh, I when I type that all out, it sounds gross. LOL I don't know why, but he eats it!