Monday, April 15, 2013

Making All Things New

Today upon leaving a Monday morning music lesson I attend with Emmett, we took the opportunity to sanitize our hands at a Purell station located in the church where the class is held. Since having small children, I wouldn't say I've become a germaphobe, but I don't hesitate to sanitize mine and my kids' hands after coming into contact with a large amount of other small children. :)

But I try to avoid Purell. Generic, giant pump bottles of whatever other brand, or that foam sanitizer that they often have in doctors' offices or hospitals, great. The unmistakable smell of the Purell brand brings me instantly back to the NICU when Dean was there for 5 weeks. The scent goes from my nose and straight to my gut, which turns over.

But this time, instead of being consumed by that feeling of worry, fear, and sadness about what Dean was facing at that time (read this description of an infant with PWS in this diagnosis through the ICD-9 and you'll get a small snapshot of what that entailed), I am going to create new memories. I intentionally brought my hand to my face and flooded my brain with thoughts of how Dean's smile and hugs light up people's days, how he can jump and run and climb, how much he has learned this year in preschool, how very, very proud we are to have him as our son.

We have all been through a period of darkness, some from which it seems the darkness has no end. Boston is now intimately acquainted with this darkness, from the families who lost loved ones, who were injured, who call or have called Boston home, and really any person who has a sense of the justice and good that ought to rule this world.

Friends, God is a God of life and truth and light can shine even in the darkest space. He can make all things new. We grieve and remember what awful things might happen in this life, and we allow God to come in and recreate what has been lost.



"Behold, I make all things new." -Revelation 21:5

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." -John 1:5

If this post has touched you, please pass it on...

No comments: